Friday, October 22, 2010

More Experimental Oldies

Time to share a few more of my earliest projects. Please excuse the poor photos. It was just too cold to keep going outside for better light. I'll do better in the future when I'm not trying to play catch-up. 

I used this Dragon Dress tutorial (which I discovered through Freeneedle) as my reference for these next couple tops.

I think this is some sort of decorator fabric...another small, cheap remnant. This marks my first invisible zip, which I recall being instant love. :-) I have actually worn this one a few times (and gotten some compliments) despite it's poor construction. My biggest issue with it is that due to my very limited fabric amount and the fact that it didn't even occur to me when I was cutting the plaid is just off-center enough at the bust to make me look a bit lopsided. Oops.


Here is a second iteration, which I am actually less enthralled with. The pattern on the fabric is pretty, but the fabric (remains from one of Mom's half-finished projects) is much thinner and slipperier. It was a pain to sew with and, while it does have better drape, just doesn't quite feel right in this top.


Moving on. I love wrap skirts. A basic wrap skirt is not hard to figure out. I haven't made one in a while...might have to remedy that soon. I have definitely worn this skirt. The inside looks horrid, the fabric is a little stiff, and the whole thing is a smidge big, but it is still a long, grey skirt.


I also made one of my sisters a wrap skirt for her high school graduation shortly after I began sewing. The fabric was a beautiful fawn brown with loosely brush-stroked pink roses. Unfortunately the construction was horrible. I still didn't know a thing about finishing the inside of a garment and I can't imagine that ravely fabric is holding up very well. She claims it's surviving and that she wears it. I'm kind of embarrassed thinking about it. I guess I was just so excited about my new interest and wanted to show off or something. Oh well.

What beginner's collection would be complete with out the classic pajama pants? I didn't use a pattern or tutorial...just roughly traced the basic shape from a pair I already had. They get a lot of wear in cold weather when I live in soft pants and sweatshirts pretty much every minute I'm home. The fabric is flannel that Mom gave me, along with a pattern, for Christmas when I was still in elementary school with promises to sew it for me. Obviously I never got the dress, but Mom has sewn three beautiful quilts for me so I can't complain. I only used half the flannel for the pants. I'm still not sure what to do with the rest. I would like to try something besides another pair, but the only thing I can really think of is a skirt. I'm not sure I would ever really feel comfortable wearing a pink flannel skirt, though.


I must have had a gifty bug when I first started sewing because I also made lounge pants for my husband and wrap pants for another sister very early on. I still get urges to sew special things for special people in my life, but more recently I've been meeting that need with things like bags rather than clothing. Mostly the little time I have to sew are focused on making things for me as I improve my skills. And now I think that is enough history for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment