Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Experimental Oldies

When I first started sewing I had no patterns, no instructional resources besides the internet, not much expendable income for tools and fabric, and no idea what I was getting myself into. I bought my Singer 5817C at a thrift store because I had a couple of simple things in mind that I wanted to try making (still haven't actually made most of them). I started out buying heavily discounted fabric remnants and trolling the web for free patterns and tutorials. I suppose it would have been better to start out more prepared instead of just diving in, but I learned so much from making lots of mistakes on cheap projects. I won't try to fool you into thinking that there weren't plenty of tears and tantrums, but the frustration didn't stop me and it prompted me to look for resources. The obvious lack of skill on my early projects makes their wearability questionable, but I am still quite proud of some of them because I didn't give up and I figured out so much on my own.




One of the first things that I made was a pencil skirt. I didn't use a pattern...just roughly copied a skirt I had. The fabric cost $0.25. The skirt was originally a bit big. (I used to always error way too big in my cutting because it's easier to make something smaller than bigger.) Unfortunately after I took it in a bit I trimmed off the excess before trying it on and now it's a fuzz tight and I don't have enough seam allowance left to fix it.




This was my very first zipper ever. While an exposed back zip probably isn't the best choice for this particular garment, I was still pretty pleased to make it through that first without too much trauma.




I even made a back vent instead of just a slit. I didn't even try to find a tutorial (didn't know what it was called to look it up)...just figured it out as best I could looking at the skirt I was copying.

No comments:

Post a Comment