Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Seersucker Sass

I love this skirt! It is about as basic as a skirt can get, but was an essential wardrobe staple during the hottest days of summer. There was a couple week stretch when I wore it nearly every day just paired with different colored tank tops and flip flops. (Too bad I waited until the temperature dropped almost 50 degrees to take any pictures.)


As the summer got hotter I kept being drawn to the many tutorials for simple gathered skirts. I wanted to try to wear skirts more, but didn't have a lot of sewing time. During a 50 percent off sale at Hancock I picked up this seersucker. The skirt is constructed from two large rectangles cut on the bias gathered along the top. Instead of using wide elastic for the waistband I used a doubled-over strip of black knit from my stash. And here is one of the best parts of the skirt...pockets!

Pockets!

I was a little afraid that this gathered style of skirt would be add too much poof around my hips, which are definitely the widest part of my body, especially since I can't stand wearing waistbands that sit at my natural waist (the waistband sits just above my hip bones). I don't think it ended up being too bad...need to stay away from bulky or stiff fabrics though.

This skirt is so nice and cool. It was easy to make and is even easier to wear. I work the overnight shift and have to wear black scrub pants and a drab green polo to work every night (bleh). I love having fun, simple clothes to pull on quickly for running errands, going out to eat, going for walks, etc, when I wake up in the late afternoon. I definitely need to whip up a few more of these for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment